Monday, May 24, 2010

Amazon.com aint so bad. Red Dead Redemption

So,

When Red Dead Redemption was revealed some time ago I waited with anticipation like many other rockstar fanatics out there. When pre order bonuses came to light I was not terribly impressed (I admit it, I am biased and think pre order bonuses from specific companies are bs...) Anyways, I wasn't sold on a pre order until I saw Amazon.com offering the pre order bonus (in this case golden guns) along with 6 bucks off the msrp. So I think the total was bout $54.00. I pre ordered thinking I was very sneaky. Not only was it less than msrp, but I was informed Amazon has same day delivery on major game titles. Plus they offer free shipping on orders over $39.99...at least they did when I ordered.

Now we come to my dilemma. The game was released about a week ago and I got a shipping confirmation saying it would arrive on the 27th....so...definitely not the day it was released. Moreover I was charged for shipping, 9 bucks, and I was charged duty because it had to come across the border. Now, I admit the duty thing is my fault, I should have known, but they didn't mention it anywhere on their site or warn me. They also didn't give me the free shipping, I suppose because I am across the border (though I am positive I've received free shipping from them before on books...) so, with shipping and duty, I paid about 70 bucks for the game, which still hasn't arrived and did not get free shipping.

As you folks know I go to school for video game design, needless to say, the students at school were playing the game...it was taunting me, it looks so goddamn amazing. I did manage to see the upside though, I got all my assignments for this week done early and even some for next week...Still...I really want that damn game.

So, I brooded and my frustration with Amazon grew. I finally attempted to email them letting them know how frustrated I was with the lack of any of the info when I purchased the title...I got an email back apologizing and linking me to about 3 different locations on their site (the fine print) locations if you will that explain why I was charged shipping, why the title didn't get sent to me for the day of it's release and why i paid duties...all curiously missing from the actual page.

None the less, they apologized for the inconvenience and offered me a 20 dollar gift card. While that doesn't get the game to me any sooner it does show they actually care about customers opinions and so I am happy with the exchange and will grit my teeth and wait just a little bit longer for the game.

Anyways, anyone play it yet? I sat down with it for all of 3 or 4 minutes a couple days ago and from that alone I was blown away. I read a lot about random events occuring in the game as well. Bandits riding through town dragging a body, robberies in progress etc. Anyone have any good stories on that? please share, satiate my need for red dead while I wait for the game.

2 comments:

Dark Acre Jack said...

For a game like this, the proper way to obtain it was to stick-up a kid leaving GameStop.

I walked in and got my copy a day after release without much trouble.

How is it? The atmosphere is impeccable... until you hit a show-stopper bug, of which there seem to be a few.

I found myself falling into an MMO-like routine of doing daily jobs (there are "game daily" challenges, meaning if you really want to grind them you can just camp a couple of times and they reset).

I've also spent 3 of the 20 or so hours I've already put in playing poker. Not cheating or shooting people up playing poker, just killing the AI and cleaning people out.

The multi-player is okay, but feels a bit barren compared to the single.

I also don't get people's complaints about the writing, to me it feels authentic and really adds to the depth of the game.

I still find myself playing more Settlers 7 than I do Red Dead, but that's an apples and oranges comparison. Red Dead is well worth the wait but I'd recommend savouring it rather than trying to drink it all down in one gulp.

zedkhov said...

Right on,

I have seen videos of the show stopper bugs you mentioned. while funny I can see them just ripping you out of the game experience. Hopefully they fix those sooner than later. I was quite looking forward to multiplayer , but have heard from many including yourself that it's a bit lacking.

I think I'll take your advice, even if I had a choice. With the amount of schoolwork going around I'll only be able to play it in small amounts at a time. Not such a bad thing